Saturday, January 19, 2008

Grow your own Bonsai



Grow your own Bonsai
by Colin Lewis & Neil Sutherland
ISBN 1402713584 SC pp.141
Published 2004
Sterling Publishing Co. Inc.

A great reference “soft cover”, it demonstrates in-depth styling, has seasonal care tips with an excellent section on first aid. This book was bought late; I wish I had picked it up sooner. This book would probably have been purchased before David Prescott’s book. Please don’t read into my last statement--each book has its own individual merits. I was really impressed with the Seasonal Care Requirements and First Aid section.

One thing I was impressed with was the section at the end of the book, where average garden centre stock is utilized in creating respectable candidates. This latter section demonstrates how plant selection occurs, seeing the tree that is not there. A careful study of this section will equip any newcomer to bonsai with the necessary tools in plant selection.

No comments: